What is Viral Advertising?Viral advertising is advertising that spreads like a virus, in other words, that can generate interest and sales for a brand or product quickly and through person-to-person messages. The main idea here is that it is the users themselves who choose to share the content. (see viral marketing )Due to their speed and ease of sharing, social networks are the natural habitat of this type of marketing. The most common recent example is the creation of animated, surprising or spectacular videos on YouTube and then sharing them on Facebook, Twitter and other social networks.It’s important to remember that in this type of campaign, most of the control is in the hands of users and the message runs the risk of being misinterpreted or parodied. On the other hand, a successful viral campaign can do wonders for your brand’s results.
How does it work?Performing viral advertising campaigns is actually quite simple. Create a video or other type of content that appeals to the target, put it online, and plan your initial actions to activate it. Here, all you can do is wait for your content to get a lot of attention and users start sharing it.When it comes to viral advertising, the first thing that comes to mind is video and image. The reason for this is, of course, that social media users pay more attention to visual details. But an impressive text can also go viral when the right words are chosen. Studies on this subject vary according to the purpose, expectation, target audience and social media platform of the company.In some cases, viral advertising can occur unintentionally. A video shared by a user can become unexpectedly popular and go viral by spreading from social media platforms.Videos created by brands often have two focuses for distribution strategy; shown or hidden. In the first, the user is aware of the advertising content from the first moment he watches it , in the second, the involvement of the brand is hidden and then revealed.If you apply covert marketing techniques, you have to be very careful. Since the viral campaign you will implement may turn against you later, you should be very careful not to make the user feel deceived.
What are the Advantages of Viral Ads?
- Viral advertising is an affordable method as it does not require high budgets like conventional television advertisements.
- Since the brand name is not highlighted and hidden inside the story, it is not understood that it is an advertisement.
- It can reach millions of users very quickly.
- The user is often affected because they do not realize that what they are watching or seeing is an advertisement. The event or slogan in it spreads from language to language, and thus the word-of-mouth method begins to work.
- The message that was intended to be given in the advertisement, which took its place in the mind of the customer, reached its place. The brand in the background will arouse curiosity and direct people to the product and website. Thus, the advertisement achieves its purpose.